Nancy A. Payne, Ph.D., LCSW
I have spent the last 15 years providing individual psychotherapy for adults of all ages. My work combines psychodynamic, trauma-focused, attachment, and mind-body approaches. During this time I also did four years of postgraduate work in psychodynamic and trauma focused psychotherapy and completed my Doctorate at NYU. I maintain a private practice, now in the Lincoln Center area of Manhattan.
I work with clients from diverse ethnic, cultural, religious, and spiritual backgrounds as well as all sexual orientations. My diverse background also includes seven years as a psychiatric social worker in the research arm of Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center. Working with patients struggling with severe mood disorders, and their families, provided me with extensive experience with more serious mental health conditions and with thinking diagnostically when appropriate, and enriched my skill as a clinician.
I also spent twelve years as organizational psychologist in governmental and hospital settings, which provided me with a personal perspective on the challenges and rewards of working in large organizations.
In 2017, I received my Doctorate in Social Work from the New York University Silver School of Social Work. My research explored prenatal mental health and well-being, and pre-and postnatal attachment in women at higher levels of risk. I have also taught at NYU, at the Master Level.
I received my Masters Degree in Social Work from NYU Silver School in 2000, and her LCSW shortly after (license # 071-682). Prior to my experience in Social Work, I received a Masters Degree in Organizational Psychology from Columbia University in 1985.
Certifications and Trainings
- Advanced Trauma Studies and Treatment, two year post-graduate training, Institute for Contemporary Psychotherapy
- Psychodynamic Psychotherapy, two year post-graduate training, Institute for Contemporary Psychotherapy
- EMDR Parts 1 – 3 (EMDRIA approved)
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, Level 1
- Certified Sand Tray Therapist
- Hypnosis, ASCH approved, Levels 1-2.
- Training in parenting assessments, Anna Freud Institute, London, UK
o Parent Development Interview for Reflective Function (PDI)
o Atypical Maternal Behavior Instrument for Assessment and Classification measure
- National Association of Social Workers
- Society for Social Work and Research
- New York State Society for Clinical Social Work
- International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
- International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation
- World Association for Infant Mental Health